Sunday, September 21 will mark the third execution of Troy Davis in Georgia.
The coming month would be an excellent time to host a community book club event with I Am Troy Davis.
Here's information from Jen Marlowe, co-author of the book:
September 21, 2014: Host a Community Book Club Event with I Am Troy Davis
On September 21, 2011, the state of Georgia put Troy Davis to death despite a compelling case of innocence. To mark the 3-year anniversary of this travesty of justice, and to deepen and widen the discourse about the human impact of the death penalty system, we invite you to participate in a worldwide Community Book Club on September 21, 2014.
We find that people who may be uncertain about their views on the death penalty, and may not want to come to a rally, vigil or other public event, are more willing to attend a small, private gathering to discuss a book they were asked to read. Through hundreds of intimate gatherings across the country and the world, Troy's story will reach thousands of new people who may not (yet!) be involved in the movement to abolish the death penalty.
To host an event, you need only:
1. Invite a group of friends, family and colleagues to read I Am Troy Davis ahead of September 21, 2014. These can be death penalty abolition activists, those who are uncertain about their views about the death penalty, those who support the death penalty, or a combination. (If you are already part of a regularly meeting book club, this can be your September book. Or, it can be any of your friends/colleagues you wish to invite for this one-time event.)
2. Invite that same group of friends, family and colleagues to gather on (or around) September 21 to discuss the book. (This can happen as a potluck dinner at a home, in a coffee shop, in connection with an existing church or synagogue book club, at your local independent book store, etc)
3. Use the I Am Troy Davis Discussion Guide developed by Equal Justice USA, in partnership with Amnesty International USA and the NAACP to facilitate the conversation around the book, or develop your own discussion questions!
4. We want to keep track of all the book discussions happening around the world! Register your event by emailing Jen Marlowe at: donkeysaddle @ gmail.com
5. Take photos of your event to be posted on tumblr, linking your event to similar book events that will take place that day all over the world!
Earlier coverage of I Am Troy Davis begins at the link.